Thursday, May 13, 2010

cut out part 2

I got on site this morning at 9:30 and with the help of Greg (local beekeeper from Kernersville) and the maintance director of the complex, we dove right in.


The floor was cut into a piece about 5' x 5' and we pried it up. There had been a serious honey bee hive in the past that took up most of that area, but a mouse got in there and made a mess of everything.

The bees were still in "swarm mode" as they had only been there about 4 days and had just started comb building. I vaccumed up what I could and then shook them into a hive body. We then put the moving screen on top and set the body over the area they were living. A lot of them moved up into the body, but there were still a lot on the outside. We vacuumed up the outside and filled the hole with foam sealant. We sucked up a bunch and went back inside and sucked the rest up.



I then took the complex's shopvac and sucked up all of the nasty mess that the mouse caused and threw everything of mine in the car and headed out at 12:30.

The only major issue was when I was working with the bees I had to lift the wood and I squished one of the girls into stinging my finger. She got me good.... It feels like it is going to pop with swollen pressure.



I got a phone call on the way to the new apiary about a house that has a hive in the wall that has been there for 10 years. Easy access too. I am going to tackle that one on saturday morning. Now all I have to do is try to find another hive and woodenware because I am out!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to help, it was quite the learning experience. As far as hive and hive components I know a guy in Kernersville who makes equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! Please tell me that sting wasn't right through the gloves???

    I'm fascinated by this part of the job (getting the hives out of buildings). It would be fun to follow someone on a job like this but since there isn't anyone in my area that I know of to follow your blog is the next best thing :)

    ReplyDelete

weather at the hive