Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Hives update

I now have 6.5 hives total. 4 at the house (with a starter nuc to see if I have drones around here for virgins to mate with) and 2 out at the airport where I work.

The hives at the airport are standard white. I did this to be able to keep my equipment separate for separate yards in the event of an outbreak of AFB or something. I will not loose everything this way.





The first carni I got has done quite well. I am now on the second honey super. They have drawn out and filled all but 2 frames. 4 frames are capped already.




The middle hive was a late nuc from Hawaiian Italian breed. They are just starting on their first honey super.

The hive closest to the house is doing okay. The replacement queen has JUST started laying…. Dunno what that is all about. They have plenty of stores, but if she doesnt start laying faster, they will miss the end of the honey flow.



The other swarm has about 3 frames in the top box drawn out. 




2 comments:

  1. I like your hive stand, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It will go where the nuc and single is next winter. Got to get it off of the porch as everyone who comes over is too afraid of them. I sit out there and watch and grill and move around and they don't bother anything.

    ReplyDelete

weather at the hive