Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Beek Idea!


The CNG class really got me going into science mode again. I have an idea to help combat: varroa, wax moth, small hive beetle and tracheal mites. Yeah, just about everything out there that can crawl, fly or hitch a ride into the hive. I am going to test my idea on one of my hives. I am going to gather data and report on it once I have the first years data compiled. The second year will seal the deal.



I am getting 2 nucs from Buddy Marterre. They are roughly the same breeding with the same genetic traits, mutts of everything. The bees will have identical foraging areas as both hives are in the same apiary. Granted, a much larger number of hives will be needed. So, once I establish this I will post my results AND post how to do this. I will then gather everyone else’s data from my generated forms (you will be able to get from me after the first year) and compile it with mine. The more raw hard data we have will prove or disprove my hypothesis.

Yes, I am being vague. The reason is, I don’t know if it will work and I don't want everyone out there running and giving it a try and then it to be an abysmal failure. It is also a little pricier than thought. But if it works, it will be worth it!

I am also going to be reporting on the efficacy of powdered sugar blowers/billows vs regular dusting. I bought one from Brushy Mountain. This study will be the second year or, if I win a hive from Brushy Mountain, it will be this year. Brushy Mountain donates several hives to beginner classes for the newly hatched beeks to begin their journey with. I REALLY want to win one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

weather at the hive